Start a new topic

Cannot "Configure Mail Merge" without being logged out of all Gmail accounts

I am always logged into multiple Gmail accounts (business/personal) and a few weeks ago, when I went to click on "Configure Mail Merge" - a window popped up saying "Are you logged into multiple Google accounts in the same browser?" - effectively forcing me to log out of all my Gmail accounts to get Mail Merge to work.

I've never had this issue until a few weeks ago and it extremely frustrating having to log out all my accounts (and logging back into them, individually) just to use Mail Merge for Gmail. 

This is, unfortunately, an issue with most Google Sheets add-ons. It is a known issue at Google end and you can follow the issue tracker to get the latest status of the bug.

As a workaround, if you do not wish to log out of your Google accounts, you have two options:

1. You can go to the People menu in Chrome and choose Add person. Here sign-in with the Google account that you wish to use with Mail merge. You can always use this Chrome profile to run merges.

2. Open your browser, go to the File menu, and choose New Incognito Window. Here open the merge Google Sheet, sign-in with your Google account and run merge

1. At the top right of Chrome, click More More and then New Incognito Window.
  2. A new window appears. In the top corner, check for the Incognito icon Incognito.

You can also use a keyboard shortcut to open an Incognito window:
  • Windows, Linux or Chrome OS: Press Ctrl + Shift + n.
  • Mac: Press ⌘ + Shift + n.

You can switch between incognito windows and normal Chrome windows. You'll only browse in private when you're using an incognito window.

I have tried both using a separate gmail account, and opening sheets in an incognito mode window and on different computers but I still keep getting an error that I cannot configure my merge with multiple accounts.  Please advise.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

It looks like Google has made some changes to the Gmail service at their end that has broken all addons that connect to Gmail.

You can track the issue here https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/160586526

As soon as Google fixes the bug, the add-on will resume working.

We are closely tracking this and will update you as soon as we hear from them.

Login or Signup to post a comment